getting an assessment

If you think your child or someone you know has ADHD then it is generally a good idea to speak to their teacher first about some of your concerns and find out what their view is


Your GP can make a referral for a specialist assessment, your GP may ask you about some of the following so it is helpful to think about this before your appointment and even make some notes

  • what symptoms you may be concerned about

  • when these symptoms started

  • where the symptoms occur – for example, at home or in school

  • whether the symptoms affect day-to-day life – for example, if they make socialising difficult

  • if anything has happened in the child’s life e.g death of a family member, moving schools, parents separating

  • if anyone in the family has ADHD

  • if there are any other difficulties or health conditions